A Sound of Thunder
Understanding "The Sound of Thunder"
1. What service does Time Safari, Inc perform?
2. What time period are they traveling back to and why?
3. What must they do when they travel back in time?
4. What did Eckels do when the animal charges?
5. What has happened when they return? What happens to Eckels? Who is the president?
6. What is the "butterfly effect?"
7. Think of a movie or a television show that involves time travel. Why do they go back in time? Is it for fun or for a humanitarian reasons?
8. What is the theme of "The Sound of Thunder?"
Austin Powers talks about a paradox.
A paradox is a statement that apparently contradicts itself and yet might be true.
Example: If God can do anything, can God create a rock so heavy that he cannot lift it up.
What is a paradox in "The Sound of Thunder"?
A Call to Action
1. Ray Bradbury states that books are people. What does his mean?
2. Bradbury also states that opening a book is like looking into a mirror. Explain what he means.
3. What does he mean when he says that he is a lover?
Love what you do and do what you love.
Write a paragraph: Write a Paragraph: Choose a specific literary element (e.g., theme, characterization, structure, point of view, etc.) or literary technique (e.g., symbolism, irony, figurative language, etc.) used by the author. Using specific details from the story, in a well-developed paragraph, show how the author uses that element or technique to develop the passage. (click for paragraph rubric)